case sensitive: get it here
$650 apartment for $650
Sometimes it seems as if even the animals
Slowly the fields began to fill.
He overcame many illnesses
Play me the beginning. Cold.
Is he going blind?
ps: Great collection of Fanny Howe links at wood s lot today.
29 DEC 05
Almost at once, it's a story.
27 DEC 05
23 DEC 05
My photographs at best hold only a small strength, but through them I would suggest and criticize and illuminate and try to give compassionate understanding. Passion, yes, as passion is in all great searches. Take note of the values around you. And wade awhile, this question in thought.
198. Voodoo, the wealthy, hospitals, and an insane asylum are just some examples. A sad sad neighbor. 228. I photograph to see what things look like photographed. 246. I really don't care what my father looked like. 262. Camera in Latin means chamber or room. They let me take down the curtains.
They let me take down curtains, wash the windows, and rearrange the furniture. Often, too, they expressed desire to share their view with others. 270. In the box is darkness. The image reveals itself to me. It is my gift. A gift for the effort I am making.
302. A lamp in my work might make you think of a police interrogation, but it's also religious, like a candle. I chose the Swiss because they have no history. The Swiss have no reason to die, so they could be anyone and everyone. 308. I am very much distant from what I see, this is my nature.
This is my nature. 310. How we live, how I live, how humans live together. 312. I learned photography in Mexico by looking, and after by doing some actions outside. What I am doing, how it ends up as a sign, is all about language, but sometimes it becomes a physical thing, sometimes it is just photography.
(source text: Photography Speaks, Brooks Johnson, ed.)
21 DEC 05
22. I found the faithless pencil. The paper melancholy to behold. Now Light, where it exists. And, in certain circumstances, does exert. How charming it would be if it were possible to cause these natural images to imprint themselves durably, and remain fixed upon the paper!
28. Spirit is employed, a ready mixture. Pour it off. Give the plate a little motion. If there happen to be thinness or a want. The steady character of light.
52. As memorable fields. An undoubting faith. Disordered clothing shows his sufferings intense. His stony pillow.
58. I arise at 4 a.m.; feed the mule; shiver down my breakfast; mercury at 30 degrees, candle dim, cup and plate tin; my seat, the ground. After breakfast I roll up my bedding, carry it up to the property line to be loaded on the pack mule, water and saddle my riding mule, and by that time it is broad daylight. If negatives are to be taken on the march, the photographic mule is packed with dark-tent, chemical boxes and camera, and out we start ahead of our exploring party on the lookout for views.
80. If a man makes a hot day, he makes it like a hot day he once saw or is seeing. Make a fellow draw antique, not to see how beautiful those simple-hearted big men sailed, but to observe their mud marks, which are easier to see and measure than to understand. I love sunlight and children and beautiful women and men, their heads and hands. 116. How to see more than one does see? 118. Mystery corresponds to no doctrine, and does not deal with possibilities.
120. "You press the button and we do the rest." 140. It's logical to say that what I do is an act of faith. It came to me. And I worked it out. 154. Photography had not been invented when the Torah was written! I was forced to use a hidden camera, and there were other problems as well.
17 DEC 05
Morning of the first snow, Max (after shoveling the path out to the
Chris Whitley. Resonator guitar tuned way low. "I like it low." The sound that came through him. His breathing, his heart.
31 Aug 1960 - 20 Nov 2005